Children and adolescents go through different behavioural, emotional and psychological stages as they grow. Each stage has its own needs and problems to be resolved. Parent-child relationship can run into problems at any time.
Some of the common problems in Child, Adolescent and Parenting Counselling are:-
- Bullying and peer pressure in school/colleges
- Aggression and violence from adolescents and temper tantrums from children
- Unhealthy habits like excessive tv viewing and telephone use
- Sibling rivalry and unhealthy competition
- Eating and sleep problems
- Bed wetting and panic attacks
- Poor school performance, school refusal and phobia
- Speech problems
- Addictive behaviours and substance abuse
- Body image issues during adolescence
- Interpersonal relationship problems
- Low self esteem and lack of assertiveness
- Poor study habits
- Poor concentration and anxiety
- Trauma, abuse and neglect
- Faulty parenting styles
This is just a list of a few problems and is not exhaustive. The counsellor helps the child by listening actively, observing the child and assisting the child in opening up to share his/her experiences along with the feelings that accompanied it.
Child, Adolescent and Parenting Counselling includes:-
- Offering the child/adolescent an opportunity to discuss problems one-o-one with the counselor and gain insight into his/her concerns in a safe and confidential environment. Discussions are based on the ages, developmental levels, and specific concerns of the children and adolescents.
- Making the child/adolescent feel safe and secure
- Respecting the child/adolescent as a person
- Listening and addressing the grievances of the parents.
- Helping in providing a healthy parent-child interaction and facilitating good communication between parent and child/adolescent
- Creating conditions for favorable, happy and well adjusted interaction
Sessions depend on the nature of the problem