Marriage counseling can be a very effective tool in putting a marriage that seems to be in trouble. Counselling areas include pre-marital counseling, adjustment difficulties, relationship counseling and workshops on marriage and relationship enhancement. Marriage counseling involves helping the couple to manage their interaction better, resolve differences and make a happy and well adjusted couple.
Short-term marriage counselling may be between 1-3 sessions while a long -term one may be 5-10 weeks. Marriage counselling includes suggesting coping strategies to enable the partners to relate to each other meaningfully and happily.
Most relationships will get strained at some time, resulting in their not functioning optimally and producing maladaptive patterns. These patterns may be called negative interaction cycles. There are many possible reasons for this, including insecure attachment, ego, arrogance, jealousy, anger, greed, poor communication/understanding or problem solving skills, ill health, infidelity and so on. Marriage counselling can offer good insights into each of these troubled areas and suggest ways for improving functioning. Relationship influences act in two ways. Each person in a marriage has to be committed to making the relationship work. The dynamics of the family also influences the difficulties that could arise in a marriage.
Marriage counselling includes:-
- Providing a confidential dialogue, which normalizes feelings
- Enabling each person to be heard and to hear themselves
- Providing an opportunity to reflect the relationship’s difficulties and the potential and direction for change in the presence of an expert.
- Empowering the relationship to take charge of one’s life and make vital decisions.
- Marriage Counselling helps people to change how they feel and think and to live better.
- People talk about their troubles and explore difficult feelings in an environment that is safe, confidential and supportive.
- Marriage Counsellor helps you to gain insight into your feelings and behaviour.
- Marriage Counsellor help to deal with specific problems cope with crisis, improve your relationships and develop a better ways of adjusting .
- Marriage Counsellors are effective and active listeners
- Ideally both partners should come for marriage counselling together.
- Relationship Counsellor or Marriage Counsellor help couples to develop mutually caring, respectful and meaningful relationships.
- However, if you are ready to seek help but your partner is not, it is still worth coming for marriage counselling alone.
A significant number of men and women experience conflict surrounding homosexual expression within a mixed-orientation marriage. Marriage Counselling may include helping the clients feel more comfortable and accepting of same-sex feelings and to explore ways of incorporating same-sex and opposite-sex feelings into life patterns.
For queries, contact us or look at the FAQ’S